How a Chennai Mother Created Educational Heroes for Kids | RandomTyms

By Ganga Ponnu, Founder, RandomTyms

How My Children's Glasses Changed My Life

A personal diary entry from the journey that created Lokesh & Varsha


Sometimes a journey begins with a grand vision. Mine began with a comment.

Actually, many comments.

"Why do your children wear glasses so young?"
"You should have taken better care of them."

Most people probably didn't mean any harm. But every time I heard those words, I felt the same thing.

An ACCUSATION!

As if my children's eyesight was somehow a report card on my parenting. What stayed with me wasn't the criticism directed at me. It was watching my children hear it.

Every morning, before school, my kids would search for their glasses.

Not because they wanted attention. Not because they wanted sympathy. Simply because they wanted to see clearly.

To us, glasses were just part of life. But somehow, to the outside world, they became an invitation for judgment, advice, and assumptions.

As a mother, I often wondered why children who wear glasses are made to feel different. And why parents are made to feel responsible.

One day, I decided I didn't want to argue with the world anymore. I wanted to change the story.

Not with an argument.

With heroes.


Turning My Children Into Heroes

To prove that my children had nothing to be ashamed of, I turned them into the stars of their own educational universe.

The truth is, they were already heroes in my eyes. I simply wanted other children to see them that way too. What began as a private family vlog slowly evolved into something much bigger.

Lokesh and Varsha became animated characters inspired by my own children — curious, playful, intelligent, and proudly wearing glasses.

Through them, I began creating stories about science, English, space exploration, culture, values, and digital citizenship.

The more I created, the more I realized this was no longer just about my own children. There were countless children like them.

  • Children who wore glasses.
  • Children who had been teased.
  • Children who quietly wished they looked different.

Lokesh and Varsha thanking their first international fan If they could see heroes who looked like them, perhaps they would see themselves differently too.

When AI Became My Creative Team

As the project grew, I found help from unexpected places. AI tools like ChatGPT, Gemini, Claude, and Grok became creative partners.

They helped me transform ideas into stories, scripts, educational concepts, visuals, and characters. For an independent creator working from home, these tools opened doors that would have been impossible just a few years ago.

But technology was never the mission. Representation was.

I wanted children who wear glasses to see themselves as explorers, inventors, problem-solvers, and leaders. Not side characters. HEROES.

Team RandomTyms

The Next Challenge: Reaching Children

Creating the characters was one challenge. Getting them into children's daily lives was another. I asked myself a simple question:

How do you place positive representation into the hands of children?

The answer seemed obvious. Stickers. GIFs. The places where families already communicate every day. So I began creating sticker packs featuring Lokesh and Varsha.

I wanted children to have expressive characters they could use in conversations with friends and family. I hoped that somewhere, a child who felt self-conscious about wearing glasses might see these characters and feel a little less alone.

The journey wasn't always easy. Like many independent creators, I discovered that distribution is often harder than creation. But I kept building. I created more content. I expanded into Telegram sticker packs. I developed GIF libraries. I continued telling stories.

And somewhere along the way, RandomTyms became an official Tenor Content Partner. For some people, that may sound like a small milestone.

For me, it felt special. Because it reminded me how far this journey had come.


Why I Still Keep Going

People often ask me why I continue doing this.

The answer is simple.

  • Because every child deserves to see themselves positively represented.
  • Because glasses are not a weakness.
  • Because children should never feel limited by how they look.

And because whenever I see Lokesh and Varsha smiling back at me from a sticker, a GIF, a blog post, or a video, I remember exactly why all of this began.

People saw two kids wearing specs.

I saw Two Heroes.

— Ganga Ponnu
Founder, RandomTyms

And if even one child feels more confident putting on their glasses before school because they saw Lokesh and Varsha, then this journey has already been worth it.

Comments