Stop Saying "Stomach is Paining": Learn Natural English | RandomTyms
Watch: Smart English – At the Doctor's 🩺
5 Words We Always Mix Up at the Doctor
These are not grammar rules to memorize. These are the natural phrases native speakers actually use.
1. Stomach pain
Wrong: My stomach is paining.
Right: My stomach has been hurting since morning.
Tamil: என் வயிறு காலையிலிருந்து வலிக்குது
Why: "Paining" doesn't exist in natural English. Use "hurt" for body pain. Add "has been hurting" because it started earlier and is still happening.
2. Fever
Wrong: I'm having fever also.
Right: I have a fever.
Tamil: எனக்கு காய்ச்சல் இருக்கு
Why: In English we don't "have" sickness like an action. We just "have a fever", "have a cold", "have a headache". No "having".
3. Vomiting
Wrong: I have vomiting.
Right: I've been vomiting since last night.
Tamil: நேற்று இரவிலிருந்து வாந்தி எடுக்கிறேன்
Why: "Vomiting" is an action, not a thing you own. Use the continuous form when it happened multiple times.
4. What the doctor says
Wrong: What happened? (too direct)
Right: What brings you here today?
Tamil: இன்று என்ன பிரச்சனைக்கு வந்தீங்க?
Use it: This is the polite, real clinic phrase. You will hear it everywhere.
Bonus: I'll check your blood pressure. / Your blood pressure is normal.
5. Medicine instructions
Wrong: Two times per day
Right: Twice a day after food
Tamil: சாப்பாட்டுக்கு பிறகு தினமும் இரண்டு வேளை
Use it: "Twice a day" is short and natural. "Thrice" is old, say "three times a day".
Why This Works for Tamil Learners
We translate directly from Tamil, so we add extra verbs. English keeps it simple: have, hurt, take. Varsha's trick in the video is to listen first, then replace one word only. That's why Lokesh remembers it.
Save this post for your next clinic visit. Play the video twice - once to laugh, second time to repeat after Varsha.

Comments
Post a Comment